Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ) Northern Virginia is a chapter of a national network of groups and individuals organizing white people for racial justice.
Through community organizing, mobilizing, and education, SURJ moves white people to act as part of a multiracial movement for justice with passion and accountability. We work to connect people across Northern Virginia while supporting and collaborating with local and national racial justice organizing efforts. SURJ provides a space to build relationships, skills, and political analysis to act for change.
Fairfax County Policing
- No Justice for Giovanny Martinez
- Killing of Giovanny Martinez Sparks Protest in Fairfax
- Press Release: Local Protestors Demand Justice for Natasha McKenna
- Please sign our petition asking Fairfax County Sheriff Stacey Kincaid to fire the officers involved in killing Natasha McKenna.
- Please also sign a separate petition to Loretta Lynch asking her to expedite the DOJ investigation of the death of Natasha McKenna.
- We demand accountability, change, and federal investigation into the death of Natasha McKenna.
Change the Name
- Read SURJ NoVA member Cat Clark’s remarks to the Alexandria City Council, recommending changing street names that honor the Confederacy
Solidarity with Other Racial Justice Organizations
- Sign on to this urgent effort to stop DC’s Mayor Bowser from increasing police presence in over-policed black communities. Black Lives Matter DMV has been turning out for weeks to stop this bill.
- Thanks to everyone who came to Racial Justice Story Time at the Alexandria libraries! Please check out our Guide to Choosing Race-Conscious Books with Children.
Take a Stand Against Islamophobia
- In March, SURJ NoVa members went into DC to show solidarity with a Muslim woman who was harassed by police at a DC library over her hijab. Take a stand against Islamophobia in your neighborhood or on social media with this placard from SURJ (save this image for electronic use or click on it to purchase a placard):
SURJ NoVA in the News
- Name of Virginia Street Honoring Confederacy’s President Will Change
- Protesters in quiet Va. suburb arrested in action against police violence
- Justice rally held for woman who died in jail after deputies used stun gun on her in 2015
- Protesters demand justice for Natasha McKenna following deaths in Louisiana, Minnesota
- Who counts in our community?
- Fairfax County: Public Safety Committee meets to discuss Ad Hoc Police Review recommendations and the Diversion First initiative
- Protesters Seek Action on Natasha McKenna
- Demonstrators demand justice 1 year after death of Fairfax jail inmate
- Disrupting Trump with SURJ Northern Virginia
- Read our open letter about Cox Farms, the Fraternal Order of Police, and Black Lives Matter.
- Fairfax NAACP holds ”Justice for Natasha McKenna” rally
- ”My Name Is Natasha McKenna”: Protesters Demand Reforms in Va.
- Storify: Justice for #NatashaMcKenna at #FairfaxAdHoc
- A blog post from the African American Policy Forum’s Kimberlé Crenshaw, “Natasha McKenna: When Killing a Black Woman in Crisis is ‘Professionalism'”